What On Earth Is Going On With Trump And The Paris Agreement?
Sigh. So many ignorant science denialists in the comments section.
1. The accord allowed each nation to select a target reduction of CO2. The US agreed to 25% below 2005 levels. 195 nations have reduction targets, not just the US.
2. The target date for industrialised nations is 2025; for developing nations it is 2030.
3. That doesn't mean any nation can wait until 2030 to start lowering CO2. If your target is to have $1 million in your retirement by age 65, you cannot wait until you are 65 to start.
4. China is reducing CO2 now. Today. They are moving more rapidly to solar than the rest of us are.
5. No one is being "penalised". The US simply agreed to that 25% reduction.
6, All industrialised nations are paying to help the developing nations, not just the US. All the major EU nations, Canada, Japan, Australia, Sweden, Norway, South Korea, etc. The money goes into a UN climate fund to help developing nations convert to green energy. They have to apply for grants for specific projects. Most people recognise these nations cannot do it by themselves, and the CO2 any nation emits affects our climate. All of us. The list of projects funded is public record.
7. The accord was signed under a treaty the US had already ratified earlier, the UN Framework on Climate Change.
Oh and by the way, a lot of American cities are sticking to the Paris agreement, it is just that poor excuse for a president that doesn't seem to care.( There is more )